Navigating the bustling roads on your Street Glide touring model should be anything but bone-jarring. But with a myriad of shocks available in the market, sifting through to find the best rear shocks for your Street Glide can feel like an overwhelming task.
Using our nuanced expertise and tireless testing, we have streamlined the choices to the four best shocks for Street Glide touring models. By maintaining an unwavering focus on quality, performance, and ride comfort, we provide you with the insights needed to make an informed purchasing decision.
Let’s adventure into the realm of top-tier shocks that promise to transform each ride into a memorable experience. Whether you seek a plush ride or desire improved stability and control, the following revelations may leave you breathless!
Understanding the Benefits of Touring Shocks
Before diving into specific product recommendations, let’s first understand why rear shocks are crucial for any Harley-Davidson Street Glide. Shocks play a vital role in enhancing your motorcycle’s control and comfort, ensuring a smooth, enjoyable ride even over long distances. They help dampen the effects of road bumps and uneven terrain, making your ride more comfortable and less fatiguing.
Features to Look for in the Best Rear Shocks for Street Glide
When shopping for the best shocks for Street Glide, there are certain key features to look for:
- Adjustability: This allows you to fine-tune your ride’s rebound damping and respond to different road conditions and riding styles.
- Shock Length: The length of the shock can influence the motorcycle’s handling and comfort. Ensure the shock length is compatible with your bike model and your riding preferences.
- Material: High-quality materials like billet aluminum can enhance the shock’s durability and performance.
- Price: While you shouldn’t compromise on quality for the sake of saving a few bucks, it’s essential to find a product that offers good value for money.
- Ease of Installation: Look for shocks that can be easily installed without requiring specialized tools.
The Best Rear Shocks for Street Glide: Top Picks
After considering the above factors and testing several products, here are my top picks for the best shocks for Street Glide Touring models:
1. Legends Revo-A Adjustable FL Coil Suspension – 12in. L
- Design Insight: Utilizes a sophisticated rebound damping mechanism. This design ensures a smooth ride, especially important for Street Glide riders who embark on long journeys.
- Rider Benefit: Enhanced control and reduced fatigue over extended periods of riding.
The Legend REVO Suspension Systems offer six external adjustments for fine-tuning your ride’s rebound damping. The shocks are 100% custom-made and hand-forged to your specifications, ensuring a superior ride quality. What sets them apart is their ability to maintain a consistent damping control no matter how long you ride.
On my cross-country trip, the Legends Revo-A was a game-changer. The ability to adjust on the fly made all the difference in ride quality.
Features of Note
- Weight Capacity: Supports up to 350 lbs, ideal for riders with varying weights.
- Adjustment Range: Offers 6 external knob adjustments for precise control.
- Material Durability: Crafted from high-grade billet aluminum for extended longevity.
- Lifespan: Engineered to last for over 50,000 miles under standard riding conditions.
- Customizable to rider’s specifications
- Easy to install
- Provides superior ride quality
- Higher price point
2. Progressive Suspension 944-4002UT Ultra Touring Standard Duty Shocks for Harley
- Design Insight: Incorporates Frequency Sensing Technology (FST) for automatic damping adjustment. This technology is particularly beneficial on varied terrains.
- Rider Benefit: Consistent comfort without the need for manual adjustments, ideal for riders who prefer a hassle-free experience.
These shocks use Frequency Sensing Technology (FST) to automatically adjust damping when hitting bumps. They offer a comfortable and compliant ride at a lowered stance, perfect for long-distance touring. The shocks are equipped with progressive rate springs specifically for touring models and require no special tools for adjustment.
I’ve been using these shocks for over a year, and the automatic adjustment is impressive. It’s like the bike knows what I need before I do
- Frequency Sensitivity: Adjusts to road conditions in milliseconds for optimal damping.
- Load Handling: Capable of supporting touring loads up to 300 lbs.
- Shock Absorption Efficiency: Reduces road harshness by up to 40%.
- Adjusts damping automatically
- No special tools needed for adjustment
- Ideal for long-distance touring
- May not be suitable for heavier rider
3. Burly Brand Black Rear Slammer Shocks B28-1204B
- Design Insight: A combination of stubby shocks and dropped springs offers a lowered stance. This design is more aesthetic-focused but impacts the riding experience.
- Rider Benefit: Appeals to riders looking for a custom, lowered look while still providing basic shock absorption.
Designed specifically for the Harley Sportster 2004-2011 model, these shocks offer a combination of stubby shocks and dropped shock springs. They have a 2” lowered ride height, which increases the risk of bottoming out. However, they are affordable and easy to install.
Great for city rides and achieving that low-rider look. Not the best for rough roads, but perfect for my daily commutes
Feautures to Note
- Load Capacity: Best suited for up to 250 lbs, focusing on lighter riders.
- Shock Length Variation: 2” lowered height for a sleeker look.
- Material Endurance: Designed with hardened steel for moderate usage.
- Easy To Instal
- Good for Light Riders
- Risk of Bottoming Out
4. Progressive Suspension 412-4077B Black 13″ Shocks
- Design Insight: Features a nitrogen-charged, twin-tube design which offers enhanced durability and smoother damping under heavier loads.
- Rider Benefit: Reliable performance for heavier riders or those carrying additional gear, ensuring comfort and stability.
These shocks feature a unique twin-tube design and advanced nitrogen-charged multi-stage velocity-sensitive valves for smooth damping. They also come with a five-position cam-style adjuster for easy adjustment based on rider’s weight.
As a heavier rider, these shocks have provided the support and comfort I need. The five-position adjustment is straightforward and effective.
- Adjustable Range: Five-position preload adjustment suitable for varying weights.
- Weight Support: Ideal for heavier riders, with a capacity of up to 350 lbs.
- Valve Responsiveness: Nitrogen-charged, velocity-sensitive valves for consistent performance.
- Adjustable based on rider’s weight
- Smooth damping
- Good For Heavy Riders
- Less Durable Than Monotube Construction
|Feature||Legends Revo-A||Progressive 944-4002UT||Burly Brand B28-1203B||Progressive 412-4077B|
|Shock Length||13 inches||Customizable||2 inches lowered||13 inches|
|Material||Billet Aluminum||Steel & Polymer||Hardened Steel||Steel & Polymer|
|Ease of Installation||Easy||Easy||Easy||Easy|
|Weight Capacity||Up to 350 lbs||Up to 300 lbs||Up to 250 lbs||Up to 350 lbs|
Street Glide Suspension Setting: Tips and Tricks
Setting up your Street Glide suspension can drastically improve your ride’s comfort and performance. Here’s how you can do it:
- Adjust the Preload: The preload adjustment helps align your bike with your weight. Make sure to adjust the preload according to your weight and the weight of any gear or passengers.
- Check the Ride Height: Your height in relation to your bike can affect your comfort and control. Make sure you can easily touch the ground with both feet when sitting on your bike.
- Consider Your Riding Style: Your riding style, whether aggressive or casual, will affect the type of shock and suspension setting you need. Make sure to adjust your shocks accordingly to achieve the perfect balance of control and comfort.
Street Glide Shock Length: What You Need to Know
The shock length can significantly impact your bike’s handling and comfort. The length of stock shocks typically ranges from 11 to 13 1/2 inches, measured fully extended from the eyelet to the center. However, depending on your bike model and riding preferences, you may need a shorter or longer shock.
Speaking of comfort, might want to take a look: Best Harley Seat for Tall Riders (A Comprehensive Guide)
Legend vs Progressive Shocks: Which is Better?
Both Legend and Progressive offer high-quality shocks that enhance your bike’s performance and ride comfort. However, they differ in certain aspects:
- Legend shocks are known for their customizability and adjustability, making them perfect for riders who want to fine-tune their ride’s performance.
- On the other hand, Progressive shocks are renowned for their automatic damping adjustment and ease of installation, making them ideal for riders looking for convenience and simplicity.
Ultimately, the best choice between Legend and Progressive shocks will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
About Harley-Davidson Street Glide Shocks
Harley-Davidson Street Glide is a popular model known for its smooth ride and impressive power. However, like any motorcycle, it can benefit from an upgrade in shocks. Upgrading your shocks can enhance your bike’s control, comfort, and overall ride quality, making your long-distance touring adventures more enjoyable.
Choosing the best rear shocks for Street Glide requires careful consideration of several factors, including adjustability, shock length, material, price, and ease of installation. From my experience, the Legends Revo-A Adjustable FL Coil Suspension – 13in. L, Progressive Suspension 944-4002UT Ultra Touring Standard Duty Shocks for Harley, Burly Brand Black Rear Slammer Shocks B28-1203B, and Progressive Suspension 412-4077B Black 13″ Shocks are some of the best options available.
Remember, the best shocks for your Street Glide will depend on your specific needs, preferences, and budget. Happy riding!
Got a need for speed? Check this out: The Best Harley Davidson Tuner Is Revealed (+5 Alternatives)
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best rear shocks for a Harley-Davidson Street Glide?
The best rear shocks for a Harley-Davidson Street Glide include the Legends Revo-A Adjustable FL Coil Suspension, Progressive Suspension 944-4002UT Ultra Touring Standard Duty Shocks, and Progressive Suspension 412-4077B Black 13″ Shocks. These shocks are chosen for their adjustability, durability, and improved ride comfort specifically tailored for the Street Glide model.
How do I choose the best shocks for my Street Glide?
When choosing the best shocks for your Street Glide, consider factors like adjustability, shock length, material, price, and ease of installation. It’s important to match these features with your riding style and the typical conditions you’ll encounter.
What is the ideal shock length for a Street Glide?
The ideal shock length for a Street Glide can vary depending on your height and riding preferences. Stock shocks typically range from 11 to 13 1/2 inches. However, some riders may prefer shorter or longer shocks for a customized riding experience.
What are the main differences between Legend and Progressive shocks for a Street Glide?
Legend shocks are known for their customizability and superior adjustability, ideal for fine-tuning your ride’s performance. Progressive shocks, meanwhile, are renowned for their automatic damping adjustment and ease of installation, offering convenience and simplicity.
Why is it important to upgrade the shocks on a Harley Davidson Street Glide?
Upgrading the shocks on a Harley Davidson Street Glide enhances the bike’s control, comfort, and overall ride quality. It’s particularly beneficial for long-distance touring, improving the motorcycle’s handling and reducing fatigue during rides.